I have to admit that I love to watch chic flicks once in a while. There are just times that I want to have a good cry over a fictional love story. Call me a hopeless romantic, sappy, weak, or whatever you want to call me but, I enjoy watching this kind of films. In fact, my favorite is A Walk to Remember. Don't worry there are also times when I cringe to some films' plot lines (maybe that's a sign of getting old?) There are moments when I stop watching a film because it is too sweet. Ugh. haha. Also, ever since... I love tragic,, sad or open-ended endings. Not that I'm bitter about life... it's just I'm a believer of there are just things that are not meant to be. :)) Even if I'm rooting for unhappy endings, I also love happy endings.. who doesn't?
And maybe because I love Celeste and Jesse --I'm torn between being happy for them or hate them for not being together. :(
Celeste and Jesse are best friends and a young couple who married early. They wanted to have a divorce but they still remain friends and stay on the same house. Celeste is more dominant and a career-oriented woman while Jesse is a one happy go lucky guy who likes to take things slow... So there is the conflict.
I love the fact that they are still best friends even if they are breaking up.Things started to become complicated when Jesse met a new girl... And then there Celeste -being jealous and comparing herself to the girl and all that overly-attached blah blah blah.
In the story, I really wanted to hate Celeste for giving up. For giving up on Jesse, for not fighting for their relationship. But, just like any loved character, Celeste is also vulnerable even if she's looks so tough.
I remember this scene when Jesse told Celeste that his new girlfriend is pregnant. And then suddenly he has a different outlook in life. he wants to be better. He wants to start a new life with the girl and their baby. Celeste became depressed because of it. it is when she realized that she can't live her life without Jesse but she realized it too late. I was crying the whole time when Celeste begged for Jesse to come back to her (in regular days, I hate it when a girl begs for a guy to come back to her)... Until, Jesse told her that he already loves the girl and wants to be a responsible father.
and that is the moment that I cried with Celeste (even if I'm slightly hating her for being a bitch)... It's like all her life Celeste wanted Jesse to be a responsible man for her and their relationship but he didn't. It takes for a baby and a new girl for him to be responsible.. It's like Celeste is not worth changing for... Okay, I'm overreacting here. But, if I'm Celeste, I will really feel that way. :((
I was already weeping when Celeste delivered her best friend speech.. That scene when she said something like... love one another and... sometimes it is not important that you're always right in the relationship... and fight for your love everyday.. and she wished she had. Oh! gosh! that was one tough scene. I watched it over and over again and it still hits me every time.
I remember when two of my friends who recommended me the movie told me that I will love the ending... and I guess they know me too well. I love it! BUT, I love the movie itself, even if it ended happy, i will still love it. It ended just right.
I just hope any couples in real life can resolve their differences as Jesse and Celeste had. One thing I learned in this film is... sometimes you need to ask yourself, "Do you want be right or do you want to be happy?"
One of the best films, ever. Well, in my opinion. I even blogged about it, I had to pour all my crying on to something.
ReplyDeleteSuper happy that you like it too. I've been reading some reviews and grabe sila ang harsh nila sa film. Hindi raw believable which I disagree. Feeling ko it happens in real life..
Delete